Follow @schink10 Two Cents: I wish I would have........

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I wish I would have........


Give your students a head start!!!


I feel that I have talked to a LOT of juniors and seniors in high school that say they wish they would have done more in order to fill out a better college resume, scholarship application, job application, etc.....  I have heard many teachers say that they "tried to tell them this early on", but is this really the students fault?  After discussing this issue with most of the students, the first time they had seen a college application, scholarship form, or job application was when they were filling the real one out.  Shame on me.  I wish that I would have had them filling them out in middle school or at least as freshman/sophomores.  I think it would be a good idea to have each student have an ongoing college application, scholarship application, and job application.  This way, they will see that they will be asked questions such as "What clubs or organizations have you been involved with".  "Do you have any volunteer experiences".  Etc.......

Why not show them this early on in the game......and let them fill it out as they go.  This way, they are not surprised when they fill the real one out and have regrets about what they "should have done". 

No comments:

Post a Comment