Follow @schink10 Two Cents: Dressing Up is Overrated.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dressing Up is Overrated.

Dress Professionally?  What does that even mean?

I understand that this viewpoint is an OPINION and that many people will disagree with me, but I think that there is too high of an emphasis on "dressing professionally".  What does that even prove?  You could dress up a serial killer "professionally", but that doesn't change who they are.

"I think that we should worry more about people 'acting professionally' and less about them 'dressing professionally'."

Message:  You are different than me.


I believe strongly in building student rapport.  I think that if good student rapport is built, you eliminate classroom discipline issues and you get more productivity, ownership, and buy-in from your students.  In my opinion, one way to immediately damage your rapport building is to overdress.  I believe that a really dressy outfit sends an immediate message of  "I am different than you".  I have worked in a district with a very high percentage of low-socioeconomic status, so this phenomenon is probably extra relevant, but I believe it is true in most places.

Try it once.  Wear some crazy clothes.  Wear some crazy shoes.  Act like a professional.  Give the students a ton of respect and attention and see how it turns out.

This is just my 2-cents.  I would love to hear your opinion (whether you agree or disagree).  I am very open-minded and able to be swayed!

Oliver Schinkten
oliver.schinkten@oshkosh.k12.wi.us
Twitter:  @schink10

2 comments:

  1. See ... I LOVE dressing up! But I do have some tattoos that I CAN cover up, but mostly don't. I'm sure that throws some folks (other teachers AND sometimes students) for a loop when they first meet me. (The people who've taught with me for ages don't seem to be bothered by it and students seem to get used to it pretty quickly too.) So yeah ... I have that, but I think I've proved (or continue to prove) myself as a professional, so it hasn't been too problematic throughout my career. I like the idea that I might be helping break a bit of stereotype just by being little ol' me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! You are not just a cookie-cutter dressed up person, though. I think that is great. You have uniqueness and I am sure that the students appreciate that. I think your professionalism should be judged by your actions.

    I also think that rapport building goes way beyond clothing as well. Obviously personality is going to be a big determinant, and if you have a great personality, I do not think it matter whether you are dressed up or not.

    Good stuff! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete